Galaxy Genesis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to come together and discuss a variety of subjects, with a focus on today's gaming, cartoons, anime, and other forms of multimedia.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vulcan422

Vulcan422

Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360) Empty
PostSubject: Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360)   Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360) EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Alright, so I immediately bought the game when it popped up on XBLA because it's good 'ol klassic MK. After being sorely disappointed with MK9, I thought to myself "Hey, maybe this game will actually have GOOD online play, and no fuck-ups on the emulation like previous versions *cough*UMK3's original XBLA release*cough*Deception's version of MK1*cough*."

After playing this, I felt lukewarm.

Once again, MK loses out to Street Fighter in terms of quality and presentation. While this collection isn't downright bad, there are still several glaring problems with the ports. All 3 of them have several control and sound issues from previous versions which were not fixed at all, or were improperly fixed. Let's go across each port and see for ourselves.

MK1

Gameplay: 7/10
Still the same old MK1. Casual and easy to pick up.

Sound: 7/10
While there are some minor sound issues (ex. no music on the match before Goro), the soundtrack is just as you remember it.

Controls: 4/10
OK here's where it all goes downhill. If anyone remembers the older ports of this game, you remember that the controls were silky smooth and that continued on in MK2. In this version Netherrealm fucked up the controls by making it so pressing down and Low Punch will do an uppercut at random when you know damn well that is NOT the input. Also, the controls are stiff as someone's penis after an erection for some reason. Not once in this game's porting history have the controls been this stiff. You can barely do specials, let alone fatalities.

MK2

Gameplay: 9/10
Still the same old MK2. More polished than MK1, and about 1.5x faster, which is good.

Sound: 5/10
By far the game with the worst sound issues. Right off the bat you'll notice there's some MAJOR clippings in the title screen themes. The loop points are messed up so that it's missing some parts, some parts of the soundtrack just sound totally off kilter, and sometimes the sound just mutes itself because it realizes how bad it is. If you want to hear the soundtrack properly, play another port. Also the music is much quieter in-game than in MK1 or UMK3.

Controls: 10/10
Absolutely arcade perfect.

UMK3

Gameplay: 8/10
Still the same old UMK3. Dial-a-combos and run button abound.

Sound: 8/10
Best sound quality out of the 3 ports.

Controls: 7/10
Overall they're a fine conversion, but still, that goddamn run button.

Now with those out of the way, it's time we get into the real reason people bought this: online play.

Online: 3/10
Yes, you read that right. Netherrealm STILL can't do netcode properly. EVERY. SINGLE. MATCH. LAGS. LIKE. FUCK. This gets even worse when playing MK1 because of the controls which now take twice as long to respond. Even UMK3's original release on XBLA and MK2 on PSN had better netcode than this.

OVERALL: 7/10
If you like MK, this is an OK collection. If you like fighting games with online play, stay the hell away from this. MK9 has slightly better netcode.
Back to top Go down
UrbaneVirtuoso

UrbaneVirtuoso

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360)   Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360) EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Personally, while it's nice for MK to have more publicity, one can always use MAME instead. What kills my incentive to buy even further is you mentioning the poor netplay. I'd hate to drop Stryker combos repeatedly.

But out of curiosity, what did you find so sorely disappointing about MK9? Minus the lag, of course.
Back to top Go down
Vulcan422

Vulcan422

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360)   Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360) EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:52 am

The fact that the overall system is broken as fuck and I can win by just using Liu Kang and spamming Y, X, A.
Back to top Go down
Zero254

Zero254

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360)   Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360) EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Vulcan422 wrote:
The fact that the overall system is broken as fuck and I can win by just using Liu Kang and spamming Y, X, A.

Thats like saying Ryu is broken because you can do hadoken and shoryuken on bad people. And win.

Plus that combo can only go up to 20% when everyone in the game can hit like 50% or higher.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360)   Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360) Empty

Back to top Go down

Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection (PS3/360)
Page 1 of 1