A place to come together and discuss a variety of subjects, with a focus on today's gaming, cartoons, anime, and other forms of multimedia.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Skullgirls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Skullgirls   Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:43 pm

I can't believe no one made a thread for this yet.

So anyway delay to 2012 has actually gotten me hyped. Especially the "10% faster gameplay". People who have tested the game in it's current form have already said that it's very fluid and fast, but the thought of it being even faster sounds absolutely amazing.

Also I think it's very wise to delay it just because of the sheer amount of hopes riding on it. A lot of people who have come off disappointed from the current generation of fighting games have latched onto this project as this age of fighters last hope for salvation, and it would be absolutely tragic if such a unique game with so much potential turned out mediocre because the developers didn't spend as much time on it as they should have. If they must delay it till 2013 to make the best game they can make, so be it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solitary Genesis



Posts : 11
Join date : 2011-08-09
Age : 27
Location : Lanes Between

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Quote :
* Gameplay speed changes – 10% faster!
* Lots of new effects and overall presentation improvements
* Upgraded backgrounds to 3D
* Additional music from Michiru Yamane
* Requested color palettes
* Accidental pause prevention option – hold Start for 15 frames to pause
* PlayStation 3 custom soundtrack option
* Button macros to help when playing on a pad
* Innumerable balance and gameplay tweaks
* In-game art galleries
http://shoryuken.com/2011/09/26/skullgirls-release-delayed-until-early-2012/

Let them take as much time as they want. I think it's a good move to push the date later (around Fall we would be busy with KOFXIII and UMvC3 anyways).

I saw some gameplay vids of this and I hoping they release a demo of sorts soon. I'm actually interesting in the overall aspect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zero254



Posts : 250
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:00 am

This is pro I love accidental pause protection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/05/skullgirls-ms-fortune-scores-a-decap-attack/

Finally.

Her level 3 reminds me of that one Ninjutsu in Revenge of Shinobi on the genesis. Good times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Ha ha I was on srk and refreshed the main page the exact second this was added

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/12/shoryuken-skullgirls-exclusive-painwheel-revealed/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackmore



Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-08-04
Age : 25
Location : In the birds... in the trees... IN YOUR SOCKS.

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:38 am

For some reason it's like a trend to hate it in some places.

IF YOU LIKE THIS GAME YOU'RE A DOOFUS AND YOU LIKE CRAPPY GAEMS HURRGAHURRGAHURRDURRHURR.

Seriously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:12 am

Blackmore wrote:
For some reason it's like a trend to hate it in some places.

IF YOU LIKE THIS GAME YOU'RE A DOOFUS AND YOU LIKE CRAPPY GAEMS HURRGAHURRGAHURRDURRHURR.

Seriously.

Ha. I would probably say something along the lines of

"If you don't want your game designers putting honest thought and hard work into making your games deep and fun, then go back to mvc3 where moves are added because they look cool (I'm looking at youo, umvc3 ryu)."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recolor



Posts : 82
Join date : 2011-08-15
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13 am

I don't like MvC3 that much and I still am not feeling the gameplay on this game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:17 am

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
I don't like MvC3 that much and I still am not feeling the gameplay on this game.

What complaints might you have? I'd be happy to discuss them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recolor



Posts : 82
Join date : 2011-08-15
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:31 pm

-Right from the beginning we had the "Anti-infinite system". This tells me that these guys are just half-assing the combo system in attempt to give out "more freedom". I swear to god I wouldn't be surprised if the combo system ends up being Brazilian MvC chaining. But hey, we go that anti-infinite system to let you free burst out of the infinites lol.
-Game feels sl- Oh wait, they agreed and are speeding it up. Nvm
-Their variation of CvS2's Free ratio system. From what I saw, it looks to me that one "Super powerful" character has more of a disadvantage than a 2 or 3 [s]man[/s] girl team, ESPECIALLY with how spammable the assists are in this game. I don't see any reason to play with a solo character unless you don't know how to play any other character.
-It also looks to me like they rely on mudslinging other fighters too much, as if they're not that confident in their own work.
-Honestly, I don't see anything here that stands out other than uber awesome l33t tournament features that noone but tourney fags will care about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Blackmore



Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-08-04
Age : 25
Location : In the birds... in the trees... IN YOUR SOCKS.

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm not saying you shouldn't hate it, I'm just saying that some people are saying they hate it because some other people do, just to look cool or something.

And I honestly can't get a real opinion for this game until I get my hands on a demo or something. But I do like the way it looks so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 pm

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
-Right from the beginning we had the "Anti-infinite system". This tells me that these guys are just half-assing the combo system in attempt to give out "more freedom". I swear to god I wouldn't be surprised if the combo system ends up being Brazilian MvC chaining. But hey, we go that anti-infinite system to let you free burst out of the infinites lol.

So basicly "they have a mechanic to prevent infinites therefore they are not going to try to make the combos good".

ok

Also wouldn't that make guilty gear/blazblue/tvc bad too since you can always burst at least once? Thus eliminating one touch death.

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
-Game feels sl- Oh wait, they agreed and are speeding it up. Nvm
I'm just gonna retype something I wrote back on srk a week ago, so bear with me if this sounds like this is a generic speech I quoted from somewhere. Because it is. Quoted from me.

You cannot tell how fast a game is by watching gameplay videos. The things we notice in videos, actually have little or nothing to do with the speed/pace of the game. Take Mvc3 for example. When you watch a video, you think it looks really fast. It's all like "ooh look that dash moved him across the screen in .01 seconds! He cancelled all those moves before you could even see them! Oh shit he just super jumped to the top of the screen in a second!"

That's not what makes a game fast.

When you actually sit down and play mvc3, you find out that it's the slowest game in the Marvel series, Mvc1 trilogy and tvc included. There are a lot of reasons for this, but it mostly comes down to several things in my oppinion. 1: The game has 10 times as much block stun as every other game in the series. This makes the game a lot slower and less fluid in pace. 2: The game has 100 times as much hit stun as every other game in the series. And 3: The game has 2/3rds less input as every other game in the series. As a result, the game feels a thousand times slower then it's predecessor despite all the flashiness.

The inverse is also true. If you take a look at some gameplay videos of Marvel Super Heroes, you might think the game is more along the lines of Mvc1 in terms of speed. But in fact it's probably one of the fastest games in the series.

I'm not saying that games that look slow are always fast or that games that look fast are always slow, I'm just saying don't judge a book by it's cover. Just because some of the animations look lengthy and you don't see people constantly zipping around and super jumping all over the place doesn't mean it's slow.

The fact of the matter is, one of the lead playtesters is a Blazblue tourney player. Who said that the game is much more fluid and faster then Blazblue in pace. Now I'm sure that's partly Pr intended to get people interested in the game, but even so I highly doubt he's wrong.

And oh yeah there's the speed boost thing.




xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
-Their variation of CvS2's Free ratio system. From what I saw, it looks to me that one "Super powerful" character has more of a disadvantage than a 2 or 3 [s]man[/s] girl team, ESPECIALLY with how spammable the assists are in this game. I don't see any reason to play with a solo character unless you don't know how to play any other character.

If you come off looking at this game after playing Mvc2, I can see how you might see it that way. But you have to remember the reason that comebacks in mvc2 were so hard is not just the concept but also the game system itself and the characters movesets. In mvc2, having no assist put you in very dire straights, but it wasn't penetrating the opponents defenses that was the problem, it was actually dealing damage that was the problem. In that game, almost 90% of the cast NEEDED assists in order to do BASIC MIX UPS. So if you were playing with someone who didn't have some kind of Iad mix up or whatever with which to gain hits, you essentially couldn't harm anyone who wasn't mashing and knew how to block. If your playing as, say, Wolverine, and you lose your assist, you can't use berserker slash anymore, and can only hope against hope that your opponent starts wiffing stuff and getting punished like crazy.

Compare this to Mvc3 where even without X-factor, you can still win 1v3 because the assists are slower, and each character has SOME kind of safe mix up move that they can throw out to test the opponents reflexes. Be it iads (dante, chun-li, ect), short hop (X-23), teleport (Wesker, dante, other people ect) dive kick (everybody) or whatever.

So yeah, as long as Skullgirls has a strong mix up game, I don't think 1v3 will be broken.


xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
-It also looks to me like they rely on mudslinging other fighters too much, as if they're not that confident in their own work.

I haven't seen this except for the aforementioned blazblue quote. But that was a play tester, not someone actually involved with the games creation as far as I know. I haven't heard anything else except from the fans. Also assuming this "mudslinging" is real, keep in mind that it's not mudslinging if it's true.



xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
-Honestly, I don't see anything here that stands out other than uber awesome l33t tournament features that noone but tourney fags will care about.

LOL TOURNY FAGS. Last time I heard someone use that word was my friend Falcon on Steam who doesn't play anything but tf2.

And you know what he spends 90% of that tf2 time doing?

Farming for hats.

HATS.


But seriously, please don't think that way. A high skill ceiling is what helps create that precious little thing we all like to call REPLAY VALUE.

Anyway, I think the game looks pretty unique. The stated goal seems to be "combine mahvel with guilty gear". Which is a pretty interesting thing to do. Now I know your thinking "so what they are both air dash fighters what's the difference?". Fact of the matter is, even without assists, Marvel and Gg are two very different games. In my oppinion, marvel is more about fluidity and freedom of movement. Rush down and zoning is not about frame advantage or knowing your gatlings, it's about spatial planning and being able to plan several steps ahead in order to limit your opponents options. Guilty Gear is more about the intricacies of hand to hand combat. The gatlings, the frame advantage, the rapid cancels. And all the mind games that go with those things.

Also disregarding all that theoryfighting for a moment, custom assists alone is an amazing innovation, and choosing your team ratio in an airdash fighter has never been done before.





AND LASTLY, why the hell does not doing anything new bother you? Blazblue does NOTHING that Guilty Gear didn't already do 10 times better. Mvc3 does NOTHING that Mvc2 and every other vs game didn't do 10 times better. Street Fighter 4 does NOTHING that Street Fighter 3 didn't do 10 times better. Why is it that you can play all these games and not have a problem with it, but when someone actually tries to make a game thats unique, well thought out, and has the best of both worlds, somehow it's suddenly a problem that it's not unique enough?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recolor



Posts : 82
Join date : 2011-08-15
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Squire Grooktook wrote:

So basicly "they have a mechanic to prevent infinites therefore they are not going to try to make the combos good".

ok

Also wouldn't that make guilty gear/blazblue/tvc bad too since you can always burst at least once? Thus eliminating one touch death.

That's not what I said. And bursts in GG/BB are baitable and punishable, not to mention that they aren't free.

Quote :

You cannot tell how fast a game is by watching gameplay videos. The things we notice in videos, actually have little or nothing to do with the speed/pace of the game. Take Mvc3 for example. When you watch a video, you think it looks really fast. It's all like "ooh look that dash moved him across the screen in .01 seconds! He cancelled all those moves before you could even see them! Oh shit he just super jumped to the top of the screen in a second!"

That's not what makes a game fast.

When you actually sit down and play mvc3, you find out that it's the slowest game in the Marvel series, Mvc1 trilogy and tvc included. There are a lot of reasons for this, but it mostly comes down to several things in my oppinion. 1: The game has 10 times as much block stun as every other game in the series. This makes the game a lot slower and less fluid in pace. 2: The game has 100 times as much hit stun as every other game in the series. And 3: The game has 2/3rds less input as every other game in the series. As a result, the game feels a thousand times slower then it's predecessor despite all the flashiness.

The inverse is also true. If you take a look at some gameplay videos of Marvel Super Heroes, you might think the game is more along the lines of Mvc1 in terms of speed. But in fact it's probably one of the fastest games in the series.

I'm not saying that games that look slow are always fast or that games that look fast are always slow, I'm just saying don't judge a book by it's cover. Just because some of the animations look lengthy and you don't see people constantly zipping around and super jumping all over the place doesn't mean it's slow.

The fact of the matter is, one of the lead playtesters is a Blazblue tourney player. Who said that the game is much more fluid and faster then Blazblue in pace. Now I'm sure that's partly Pr intended to get people interested in the game, but even so I highly doubt he's wrong.

And oh yeah there's the speed boost thing.

I know that, especially on YT slows it down further with it's limit on 30FPS.

Quote :

If you come off looking at this game after playing Mvc2, I can see how you might see it that way. But you have to remember the reason that comebacks in mvc2 were so hard is not just the concept but also the game system itself and the characters movesets. In mvc2, having no assist put you in very dire straights, but it wasn't penetrating the opponents defenses that was the problem, it was actually dealing damage that was the problem. In that game, almost 90% of the cast NEEDED assists in order to do BASIC MIX UPS. So if you were playing with someone who didn't have some kind of Iad mix up or whatever with which to gain hits, you essentially couldn't harm anyone who wasn't mashing and knew how to block. If your playing as, say, Wolverine, and you lose your assist, you can't use berserker slash anymore, and can only hope against hope that your opponent starts wiffing stuff and getting punished like crazy.

Compare this to Mvc3 where even without X-factor, you can still win 1v3 because the assists are slower, and each character has SOME kind of safe mix up move that they can throw out to test the opponents reflexes. Be it iads (dante, chun-li, ect), short hop (X-23), teleport (Wesker, dante, other people ect) dive kick (everybody) or whatever.

So yeah, as long as Skullgirls has a strong mix up game, I don't think 1v3 will be broken.

Then SG better have that strong mix-up game, because seriously those assists are spammable as fuck. Just wait until they find one with a godly assist.

Quote :

I haven't seen this except for the aforementioned blazblue quote. But that was a play tester, not someone actually involved with the games creation as far as I know. I haven't heard anything else except from the fans. Also assuming this "mudslinging" is real, keep in mind that it's not mudslinging if it's true.

True, false, if they rely on mocking other series/games too uch, then they're not even confident on their own work.


Quote :

LOL TOURNY FAGS. Last time I heard someone use that word was my friend Falcon on Steam who doesn't play anything but tf2.

And you know what he spends 90% of that tf2 time doing?

Farming for hats.

HATS.

Wait....you mean TF2 ISN'T about hats?

Quote :

But seriously, please don't think that way. A high skill ceiling is what helps create that precious little thing we all like to call REPLAY VALUE.

Anyway, I think the game looks pretty unique. The stated goal seems to be "combine mahvel with guilty gear". Which is a pretty interesting thing to do. Now I know your thinking "so what they are both air dash fighters what's the difference?". Fact of the matter is, even without assists, Marvel and Gg are two very different games. In my oppinion, marvel is more about fluidity and freedom of movement. Rush down and zoning is not about frame advantage or knowing your gatlings, it's about spatial planning and being able to plan several steps ahead in order to limit your opponents options. Guilty Gear is more about the intricacies of hand to hand combat. The gatlings, the frame advantage, the rapid cancels. And all the mind games that go with those things.

Also disregarding all that theoryfighting for a moment, custom assists alone is an amazing innovation, and choosing your team ratio in an airdash fighter has never been done before.

You better not be comparing me to a common scrub. I KNOW Marvel and GG play very differently. And what I said that so far all SG has shown so far that is interesting are things that are only applicable in serious tournaments.



Quote :

AND LASTLY, why the hell does not doing anything new bother you? Blazblue does NOTHING that Guilty Gear didn't already do 10 times better. Mvc3 does NOTHING that Mvc2 and every other vs game didn't do 10 times better. Street Fighter 4 does NOTHING that Street Fighter 3 didn't do 10 times better. Why is it that you can play all these games and not have a problem with it, but when someone actually tries to make a game thats unique, well thought out, and has the best of both worlds, somehow it's suddenly a problem that it's not unique enough?

Well, if you're going to put it that way. Why do we play any other game that isn't....say....Yier ar Kung Fu. I mean, they all have a lifebar and the idea is to drain it before your opponent.

While hard to believe, GG and BB actually have different feeling despite sharing most of the same mechanics.
MvC3 and SF4 went too far in the scrub friendly department.

Again, what I said was that nothing in SG stands out to me. There is nothing there that tells me "Oh shit, that looks fucking awesome.".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:30 pm

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

That's not what I said. And bursts in GG/BB are baitable and punishable, not to mention that they aren't free.
Yes but the infinite escapes aren't going to be free either

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

I know that, especially on YT slows it down further with it's limit on 30FPS.
Yeah

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:


Then SG better have that strong mix-up game, because seriously those assists are spammable as fuck. Just wait until they find one with a godly assist.
Agreed. It also depends on how punishable the assists are and whatnot. In Mvc3, you could create a team designed to one hit kill any assists that are not defended properly.


xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

True, false, if they rely on mocking other series/games too uch, then they're not even confident on their own work.
Yeah. But like I said I haven't seen any internal mudslinging. Mike Z is a Blazblue player after all.


xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

Wait....you mean TF2 ISN'T about hats?
Aww shit ya got me.



xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
You better not be comparing me to a common scrub. I KNOW Marvel and GG play very differently. And what I said that so far all SG has shown so far that is interesting are things that are only applicable in serious tournaments.

Naw, don't worry I'm not saying your a scrub. I'm not that good myself.

But I disagree, I believe that any kind of strong depth is aplicable not only in tourneys but in casual circumstances as well. After all, part of what seeing amazing technique at a tourney is not just that it's amazing, but then it's being done in an intense environemnt with money at stake.


xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

Well, if you're going to put it that way. Why do we play any other game that isn't....say....Yier ar Kung Fu. I mean, they all have a lifebar and the idea is to drain it before your opponent.

While hard to believe, GG and BB actually have different feeling despite sharing most of the same mechanics.
MvC3 and SF4 went too far in the scrub friendly department.

Again, what I said was that nothing in SG stands out to me. There is nothing there that tells me "Oh shit, that looks fucking awesome.".

That's exactly what I'm saying. If Gg and Bb can be very different, then there is no reason Skullgirls can't.

I think that the team customization is pretty interesting. Also another thing that's a really big hook is just the fact that a tourney pro is actually designing the game. As far as I know, such a thing has never been attempted before.


Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recolor



Posts : 82
Join date : 2011-08-15
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Squire Grooktook wrote:

Yes but the infinite escapes aren't going to be free either
The infinite escapes are just that, infinite escapes. You can't burst in SG unless the game decides that your opponent is doing an infinite and even then THOSE bursts are invincible.


Quote :

Yeah. But like I said I haven't seen any internal mudslinging. Mike Z is a Blazblue player after all.
Who plays Tager. Which means SG is going to be all about Tech traps.


Quote :


Naw, don't worry I'm not saying your a scrub. I'm not that good myself.

But I disagree, I believe that any kind of strong depth is aplicable not only in tourneys but in casual circumstances as well. After all, part of what seeing amazing technique at a tourney is not just that it's amazing, but then it's being done in an intense environemnt with money at stake.

When I mean amazing, I mean something that REALLY stands out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:29 pm

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

The infinite escapes are just that, infinite escapes. You can't burst in SG unless the game decides that your opponent is doing an infinite and even then THOSE bursts are invincible.
Yes but this won't matter if infinites aren't discovered in the first place, and even if they do, I think a invincible burst is not that bad a thing for balance compared to a freaking infinite. What I meant by the burst reference is that they are also preventive of infinites. At least at first.

Your argument is basicly just "oh they put an anti infinite system in therefore they are lazy and it will be bad". This is like me saying "oh it's made by capcom therefore it's bad". You also seem to be arguing that they should just take a greater amount of time to make sure infinites aren't possible in the first place. Let's be realistic here, that's impossible in a game like this. There are just so many variables, you can't test them all. That's why Mvc3 put in hit stun deterioration.

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

Who plays Tager. Which means SG is going to be all about Tech traps.
If your playing a character like Tager then I'd say you have a pretty good grasp of concepts like strategy, reading, ect.

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

When I mean amazing, I mean something that REALLY stands out.
Fighting games aren't made out of flashiness. Sf3 and sf4 don't stand out that much, but one of them is one of the greatest games of all time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recolor



Posts : 82
Join date : 2011-08-15
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Squire Grooktook wrote:

Yes but this won't matter if infinites aren't discovered in the first place, and even if they do, I think a invincible burst is not that bad a thing for balance compared to a freaking infinite. What I meant by the burst reference is that they are also preventive of infinites. At least at first.

Your argument is basicly just "oh they put an anti infinite system in therefore they are lazy and it will be bad". This is like me saying "oh it's made by capcom therefore it's bad". You also seem to be arguing that they should just take a greater amount of time to make sure infinites aren't possible in the first place. Let's be realistic here, that's impossible in a game like this. There are just so many variables, you can't test them all. That's why Mvc3 put in hit stun deterioration.

Actually, this fail-safe mechanic tells me another thing. This game will be based around on loops. It's a matter of how many moves you can stick into the same combo before you're forced to use a combo finisher on it or the game will say it's an infinite and stop you itself.

Quote :

If your playing a character like Tager then I'd say you have a pretty good grasp of concepts like strategy, reading, ect.

Good thing a lot of Ranked players aren't capable of that.....and yet I still hate facing Tager.

Quote :

Fighting games aren't made out of flashiness. Sf3 and sf4 don't stand out that much, but one of them is one of the greatest games of all time.

SF3 had parries, which were amazing and are pretty deep for something so seemingly simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:56 pm

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

Actually, this fail-safe mechanic tells me another thing. This game will be based around on loops. It's a matter of how many moves you can stick into the same combo before you're forced to use a combo finisher on it or the game will say it's an infinite and stop you itself.

Or just not do a combo that loops the same two moves 10 times in a row? Besides, combos are always like that. It's not about doing 999 hits, it's about finding the sweet spot with damage scaling where you can get the most damage for the least meter.

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:


Good thing a lot of Ranked players aren't capable of that.....and yet I still hate facing Tager.
Mike Z also played low tiers in mvc2 lol

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:

SF3 had parries, which were amazing and are pretty deep for something so seemingly simple.
Yes but that's not something that seems "amazing" if your watching a simple gameplay video of it and don't know how the game plays. After all, to the observer, how are parries better then Just Defend? Or dodge roll/sidestep? Or ex-shield in melty blood? Ect. I'm just saying that it's not about how cool things look (obviously). A well designed game with strategic, well thought out move sets bests a flashy but poorly designed game with a million innovations that are not executed well. And judging from what I'v seen, it's shaping up to be the former.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zero254



Posts : 250
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:21 pm

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:

Yes but this won't matter if infinites aren't discovered in the first place, and even if they do, I think a invincible burst is not that bad a thing for balance compared to a freaking infinite. What I meant by the burst reference is that they are also preventive of infinites. At least at first.

Your argument is basicly just "oh they put an anti infinite system in therefore they are lazy and it will be bad". This is like me saying "oh it's made by capcom therefore it's bad". You also seem to be arguing that they should just take a greater amount of time to make sure infinites aren't possible in the first place. Let's be realistic here, that's impossible in a game like this. There are just so many variables, you can't test them all. That's why Mvc3 put in hit stun deterioration.

Actually, this fail-safe mechanic tells me another thing. This game will be based around on loops. It's a matter of how many moves you can stick into the same combo before you're forced to use a combo finisher on it or the game will say it's an infinite and stop you itself.

Quote :

If your playing a character like Tager then I'd say you have a pretty good grasp of concepts like strategy, reading, ect.

Good thing a lot of Ranked players aren't capable of that.....and yet I still hate facing Tager.

Quote :

Fighting games aren't made out of flashiness. Sf3 and sf4 don't stand out that much, but one of them is one of the greatest games of all time.

SF3 had parries, which were amazing and are pretty deep for something so seemingly simple.


Resets > Infinites
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recolor



Posts : 82
Join date : 2011-08-15
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:32 am

Squire Grooktook wrote:
moves 10 times in a row? Besides, combos are always like that. It's not about doing 999 hits, it's about finding the sweet spot with damage scaling where you can get the most damage for the least meter.

You can always use that long loop as a way to gain meter for a better combo.

Zero254 wrote:
Resets > Infinites

Where are you going with this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:32 am

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:
moves 10 times in a row? Besides, combos are always like that. It's not about doing 999 hits, it's about finding the sweet spot with damage scaling where you can get the most damage for the least meter.

You can always use that long loop as a way to gain meter for a better combo.

Yeah but any longish combo can be used for that. Just because it has a lot of hits and suffers from damage scaling doesn't mean it has to be a loop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 am

Srk post regarding sfxt vs sg


"I got to play BOTH today at comic con. I gotta say Skullgirls really is the truth. SF cross TEK...not so much. Its Great to see the tekken characters in the SF universe but they play like crap. My understanding was that they would have tekken combos...they don't.

SkullGirls is everything i wanted it to be. A much prettier, WAY more stylized MvC2. Without the broken aspects"

I know this is just a random review from someone who visited, but it's not a member of the games staff so it's not like it's just pr.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recolor



Posts : 82
Join date : 2011-08-15
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 am

For all we know, that person could be a random scrub that doesn't really go deeper in fighters than Mash buttons to win.

Tekken combos? You mean juggles and 10 hit combos? I knew the moment it would have SF gameplay that the Tekken characters wouldn't have that.


I know I said I didn't like how SG was looking so far, but I'm still willing to give it a try on the off chance that I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:39 pm

xTANKxDEMPSEYx wrote:
For all we know, that person could be a random scrub that doesn't really go deeper in fighters than Mash buttons to win.

Tekken combos? You mean juggles and 10 hit combos? I knew the moment it would have SF gameplay that the Tekken characters wouldn't have that.


I know I said I didn't like how SG was looking so far, but I'm still willing to give it a try on the off chance that I could be wrong.

Yes, yes, I know. But all the info I'v gotten seems to work with it. I'm just gonna go ahead and give the game the benefit of the doubt.

Right now, the only thing that concerns me with the way it looks is speed, because marvel is all about mobility and movement, and a lot the action takes place close and has more of a Guilty Gear look. Other then that, I think the move set design looks perfect. And from the Q&A Mike Z has performed on the Srk thread, it looks like they've thought about basicly everything, and have taken into account a lot of fan suggestions and concerns.


*Edit

Also, another reason this quote reassures me, is because 90% of the complaints about this game are aesthetic in nature. "It looks slow" "laggy" ect. If the game feels fun, even for a scrub during a short play time, then that pretty much destroys all those aesthetic complaints. As for the real stuff, like depth and balance. I will, as I have said before, trust Mike Z and the rest of the team to give us a better experience then what Capcom has been spewing out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Squire Grooktook



Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Some hands on playtime from ny comic con


I do not believe there is any longer a chance of this game being bad.


Worst case situation: it's as good as melty blood/tvc/blazblue

Best case situation: It earns a spot in the pantheon next to guilty gear/mvc2/sf3.

Personally, I think it will be neither. Here is my prediction for the game (note this is in regards to quality not how well it sells):

1: I think it's going to be the king of the doujin/indie fighting games. It'll dethrone Melty Blood, kick Arcana Heart's ass, and make sure all those freeware doujin fighters (eternal fighter zero, wonderful world, umineko) don't have a shot.

2: I think it's going to be the best air dash fighter released since Guilty Gear Accent Core. It will crush Mvc3 beneath its heel until nothing remains but a red stain. And it shall do everything that Blazblue does only better.



As for sales, I think the game will do alright. If Blazblue, a game featuring 5 anime theme songs, a underage cat girl who doesn't wear pants and lusts for breasts, and character designs based on every anime archetype known to man, can sell exceedingly well and make a splash, then so can this. I don't think it'll sell as well as Blazblue, but will make as big a splash as Tvc and Arcana did, and will at least justify it's existence.


Just my 2 cents from what I've seen so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Skullgirls   Today at 12:07 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Skullgirls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» FGN: Skullgirls Is Cursed

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy Genesis :: Video Games and Related Media :: Video Game Discussion-
Jump to: